Tuesdays 2-4 PM
Listen at georgetownradio.com
Requests
AIM: wgtbrequests Phone: 202.687.WGTB (9482)

Thursday, March 26, 2009

More New Releases!

So this week, I thought it would be cool to write something about my favorite new releases from this week (March 24 release dates). First up is the new release, Crack the Skye, from Atlanta metal masters MASTODON.


While I will admit I like "heavy" music more than most people, I am still not a big metal fan. Mastodon, though, is one of the few legitimate "metal" bands I can get down on. They have a knack for writing story albums, and Crack the Skye is no different. Their last two albums were Leviathan, which narrated the Moby Dick story, and Blood Mountain, which told the story of some explorers in search of a Crystal Skull. This concept could obviously be some weird metal nerd shit, but Mastodon actually pulls it off as they are especially talented at writing some pretty crazy and innovative riffs. Crack the Skye shows Mastodon taking a more prog-rock approach, though they still bring their A Game when it comes to riffs, bordering on some YES, Rush, and even Zeppelin inspired segments. Overall, I would say Mastodon is a more accessible "metal" band, and is a cool band to check out if you are sick of listening to Godspeed, You Black Emperor or whatever.

Next up is the newest CD from Michigan pop-punkers Fireworks entitled, All I Have to Offer is My Own Confusion.
If I'm not mistaken, this album was produced by Chad from New Found Glory, so you know it has some pretty catchy melodies and vocal parts. Fireworks creates a more refined sound, at times bordering on pop-punk forefathers Lifetime, while at others times showing the grit and speed of Kid Dynamite. Overall, the album doesn't stray much from standard and lovable pop-punk roots, but brings a more mature and well-written style. For fans of catchy pop-punk, makes great warm weather music for all your pool party and BBQ needs.

No comments: